Thursday, May 15, 2008

I have a goal....

So Drena wrote a blog that related to my 10 habits post and now I am writing one after reading hers...so funny how things work, well, not that funny, but anyway.....my goal.

So I realized that some of the things in my post are easier to do than others, and I could do them. Others will be a real challenge for me so I am going to make a goal of doing the hard ones and see how well I do by the end of the year. Calling my dad more is easy, so is wearing lipstick and hopefully if I ever get my place cleaned I could try to keep it that way....but the two things that affect me the most are the exercising on the road and the drinking water on the road, and I might as well throw in the eating healthy while we are at it. When I am home I eat pretty healthy...breakfast is usually a chai latte that I make at home around 8:30-9, fruit for a snack around 10:30-11, lunch is usually a mixed greens salad with oil and balsamic vinegar and a lean cuisine pizza or maybe a chicken wrap downstairs around 12:30, and then an afernoon snack..those vary but usually involve some fruit and some sort of chip or cookie or something and then I have dinner at home...that varies too..this week it has been fat free bologna on double fiber wheat bread with low sodium rice a roni with a caffeine free diet coke. Might not all sound appetizing to everyone but I actually like this food.....I don't feel like I am missing out on flavor and I feel good when I eat these things. I also used to drink about 80-100 oz of water a day but I have been bad about that lately and have only had about 30-40 a day.
Now, when I go out of town, I still get the latte (except I have to go to Starbucks) and I have the morning fruit, lately it has been subway or panera for lunch on the good days, but other days it is bad things, and then dinner (outback or chinese or something else)....I don't really drink the water as much and since restaurants don't have caffeine free diet coke (except panera) I usually get regular diet coke which dehydrates me even more. This eating is not terrible and will be ok for a little while but when I will be gone for 5 weeks in a row coming up it will not be acceptible. I think that most of you know that about a year ago I went to see a nutritionist because I got sick to my stomach almost every time on the road. I discovered that my blood sugar was suffering because I didn't snack and I would eat too much at lunch so it would last until dinner, be starving at dinner so overeat then too. It was a little pattern that I had and that she helped me with. I can honestly say that since I went to see her and followed her advice I have only gotten sick to my stomach about 2 times in a year on the road....so obviously it works for me. I want to take it a little further though and just try to cut out those days above where I said I ate somewhere that wasn't good for me. Again, I am not talking about being super strict and if I crave a burger not having one...I just mean I want to try to make good decisions on the days when I don't have any cravings. The biggest problem that I run into is that I don't like what the restaurants offer for healthy choices...so i guess I need to broaden my horizons in that area....that might be the biggest challenge for me. The water thing I need to work on too...I was so good about it before I started traveling that I would have about 2 20 glasses before I went to my aerobics class at lunch! Now I barely finish the same 20 oz glass I get when I get in in the morning...my one from today is still half full on my desk. I can tell a huge difference when I don't drink the water but it is frustrating because it does make me pee a lot and when I am traveling I am not always able to run to the bathroom with leaving a meeting, interrupting something someone is showing me or learning from me or climbing over someone on a plane. I need to be better about it though. As for the exercising....I like to exercise and I like how I feel afterwards but I haven't gotten into a good routine on the road unless I am in a cool city with people who also run and we sort of help each other...I haven't been in one of those cities with those people in about 8 months! I think that I need to find some good DVDs that I can do in my hotel room. I can use the hotel equipment but it is not always the best and it makes me not want to work out....if you have any suggestions on DVDs that I can do in a hotel room with no equipment, let me know.

Ok, that was my whole life story just to say that traveling and keeping healthy is extremely hard for me...I gained 10 lbs when I started working for Cox and when I had 6 months of no traveling I got rid of it all...i would like to keep it gone and I would like to be healthy on the road.....that is my goal...to conquer these obstacles by the end of the year.....not sure how I will really measure it but we will see.

4 comments:

m said...

Between your goals earlier (which were great ideas!) and now this one I think I am going to have to do a post on some goals. First I will have to think of some goals for myself. Lately they are all get the kids, dressed, clean, etc. If I take a shower and get a cup of coffee I tend to feel somewhat taken care of although I am always tired. I am going to think on this and set some goals. I guess it is hard to do something if you don't know what you want to accomplish or have a plan to get there.

Mel said...

Well, this is just an extension of that one...something I constantly struggle with...I want to be healthy and I just feel better and of course I want to look good! I don't really care if I am a size 2 or whatever (not that there is anything wrong with that) but I do care how I feel and I just feel better when I am healthy..mentally and physically! You will think of a goal now that it is on your mind!

Drena said...

Meghan, isn't your goal to run a half marathon in the fall or winter?

Mel said...

oh yeah....see, all you needed was a little help from your friends :-) Now you have a goal!