Friday, May 16, 2008

I heart Robb Sutton and I hate GE

So, came home early today because I was paranoid about the hot water heater and for good reason...water still leaking. I called GE cause it is still under warranty and they make me call back when I have taken off the power panel (which they have to explain to me because contrary to their tech support's belief, I do not sit around examining my hot water heater!) Anyway, call back and they ask if inside there is wet....NO, and come to think of it...wouldn't that have been REALLY bad if the electrical panel was wet...but anyway. They say that they will replace it....all I have to do is disconnect it and take it to any Home Depot, get a new one and bring it home to install it...sure..and how do they propose I do that????? I don't have the first clue on how to disconnect it and then on top of that couldn't carry it to my car and even if I could....it wouldn't fit. They say that the labor isn't included...fine. I am a little sketch on it because they just said to take it in and I would get a new one but when I had called the plumber they said that GE would want to come it to test for the leak. I guess they don't care because they gave me a confirmation number but somehow I still feel like I will have an issue when I get to home depot. I called a plumber to see if they could help me remove it and replace it and they said it would be $500 to come and remove it and turn it in and get another one and then install it...what the heck..it only cost me $700 the first time and that included the price of the hot water heater and disposal of the old one...ugh. Of course when I called that plumber (cause I found the invoice in the third place I thought it might be) that installed it the number didn't work anymore. At this point I am beyond upset but then I remember my sister's fiance and how he is a manly man and has a big car so maybe he can help me. I called her and luckily he can...but not until Monday, but it is a slow leak so I should be fine. I just think that it is ridiculous that the thing is under warranty and yes, you can get a new one but it will cost you $500. Isn't the point of a warranty to give you a working whatever because the company that made whatever it is you are turning in screwed up? Shouldn't they cover the cost of having to replace it? I mean if they had proper quality control on their stupid hot water heaters to begin with then I wouldn't have this problem. My having to pay is absolutely directly related to their f&^* up......clearly they don't give a shit though. Luckily Robb (hence the title) will come to my rescue...thanks a lot GE!!! By thw way, it has two different capacities on it...the one sticker says 42 gallons but the other one says 30 gallons and the serial number is 30 gallons...oh and my carpet is wet which smells fabulous and I have clients all weekend!!! Luckily I am experienced in leaks and I have a fan on it hoping it will dry soon and not smell by tomorrow....I need a drink tonight!

2 comments:

Mollypants said...

Did Home Depot install it? If a contractor installed it then call them and tell them that you have a claim against their GL policy. Should be covered, it was their work that installed it and one could infer that they should have tested it when it was installed and therefore should have noticed it leaking. It's at least worth a shot.

Mel said...

A plumber installed it and when I called the number on the invoice it had been disconnected :-( My future brother in law is going to do it, it just sucks that they don't cover the labor....thanks though...I actually am going to HD today so I might ask them if they have any special sort of program for when this happens and see what they say.