Friday, May 9, 2008

One reason that I can't stand businessmen!

My day started out ok. Then I was trying to fix a stapler and stapled a staple THROUGH the edge of my finger. It hurt. Off to the airport. Flight is on time, that is good.

Waiting in line to board the plane and there are two people that line up to get on the plane....normally I would laugh at these people and just stand back but since it is a REALLY small plane and I have two things I want to put in the overhead I want to get on sort of early. While waiting in line the guy in front of me (who has a deloitte backpack and a tag on it with his name on it -pratical, yes- dorky, DEFINITELY) asks the guy behind me if he changed some password on some server. The guy say yes cause he couldn't get into the server and needed to. Guy in front says "well, you crashed the server and an email just went out". I thought that was really rude. The guy behind me felt bad and was explaining a little bit and how he forgot to change it back (and I have learned WAY too much about this stupid server in the process). Guy in front will not let it go...keeps mentioning it- in line at the airport-until the guy behind finally says "yeah, I know, I messed up, it is totally my fault". Guy finally drops it and says "I won't tell anyone" and looks at me and says "you don't know anyone at Vp server do you?" and I said "no, but I used to work at Deloitte in Atlanta" Just being funny, and then I said "I used to work in audit" to which he replies "yeah, I figured". What the hell did that mean? I don't know why I took offense but it was just the way that he said it. He was short...probably had shortman syndrome. Then I realize I have to sit next to him...great. He smelled and slept most of the time so that was ok, but he just got me to thinking.
I started a list a while back of the top 10 things that I can't stand about businessmen and he just brought one of them to the surface. They have no respect for women my age. You either have to be some stuck up bitch or some manly woman or complete dork for them to respect you. They can't seem to grasp that just because I carry a red backpack, or blue messenger bag or wear jeans or flip flops on the plane that I am not a professional. The ironic part about this is that my job (since I started working following college) has been to tell men (and women) just like him what they are doing wrong at work or how to do things better. Maybe that is why they don't like me....maybe they think about that movie "In Good Company". I don't know but it really annoys me. I also get this a lot "do you have your CPA?" and when I say yes they act like I just grew a third head in front of them. I don't get it!! I guess I am going to take Molly's advice and just start telling people I am a photographer...I am sure that they don't consider that a profession at all so it will go right along with their judgement.

I get back to my car and find that my battery is dead...well, that sucks. I have been gone a week and a half and I have no idea why I would have turned on a light but maybe I did. I had to call the little van to come and jump my car...it was so dead that my keyless entry didn't even work!! Crazy...never had it that dead before. When he jumped it my alarm started going off and two lights in my car came on. I am not sure if I left them on or if I turned them on while trying to figure out if I had left any on while waiting for the guy to come jump the car. Either way it was running again and had plenty of time to charge while I waited in traffic to get home. Matter of fact, it was so dead that it reset my radio..I had to dig out the manual and type in a code to get the radio back! So silly!

Well, I am getting ready to go and hang out with Terri and Jen and Morgan for a little while. Also, don't know if anyone has talked to Erin, but it looks like the twins might come home on Sunday..Mother's Day..how perfect! It is not set in stone yet, but I hope that they will get to because I know she is ready and so are they!! I am crazy..I offered to babysit some time (down the road)!!

Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies!!

4 comments:

Drena said...

Sounds like you had a great day!

You should tell the businessmen you are a Realtor and then listen to a long story about how their realtor did nothing and got thousands of their dollars. They just entered in MLS and waited to collect. It's a classic.

Mel said...

Nice! I am just going to start making up random jobs!

Mollypants said...

ha...yeah I have to say I thought I'd get a lot of "art, huh, there's a moneymaker" comments or "so do you cut your ear off" or "man, I love that dogs playing poker, can you do that for me?" but usually people just go "that's awesome, I wish I had done that, now I hate my job" or some combination of it. Hence the blog. When I said I was an insurance broker, people said "I'm paying too much" or "my insurance just tells me that I have to improve safety or I'm getting cancelled"...that or they wanted to know all about a profession that I considered hopelessly boring. One day I think I'm going to make stuff up to people like in airports, like just randomly say "I'm a CIA assassin" or "I was a TV child star, I just collect residuals now"

Terri said...

Too funny. I always hated having to tell guys that I was in the Army. And then an officer on top of that! They were either SUPER interested and I had to tell my whole life story, or they seemed completely turned off by it and completely ignored me the rest of the trip. Honestly... I preferred the ignored part. Oh, and of course, I was asked... Did you go to Iraq? And when I said yes, I was asked if I'd kill anyone and if it was as bad as they say it is... ALWAYS those questions.